Tulloch by David Jehan
Tulloch : a history of Tulloch Engineers & Manufacturers : Pyrmont & Rhodes, 1883-1974
Eveleigh Press 2015 £44
296 pages colour & b/w photos - Robert Tulloch arrived in Sydney from the Orkney Islands in 1877 with virtually nothing and managed to get a job as a boilermaker. He started Robert Tulloch and Company in 1883 and so began an engineering dynasty that was to contribute much to the development of Sydney, New South Wales and Australia. The company started operations in Pyrmont, where it operated from 1883 to 1915. The company built the huge, double-track railway bridge over the Nepean River at Penrith and the single-track bridge over the Manning River at Mt George in northern NSW. At Pyrmont too they entered the rolling stock business, with the manufacturing of four-wheel S wagons for the New South Wales Government Railways. In 1915 the company moved to Rhodes where it diversified into many fields. They also opened their own timber mill in northern NSW and operated their own timber tramway into the hills for timber getting. The company built many single-deck electric carriages for the Sydney suburban system, air-conditioned carriages for the Newcastle Flyer, freight wagons and many tank cars in varying sizes and capacities. They are most noted for the design and construction of the first double-deck carriages for Sydney and the first powered double-deck train in the world. All manner of diesel locomotives were built, including diesel-mechanical, diesel-hydraulic and diesel-electric units which saw service in most states of Australia. Diesel-hydraulic railcars were also built for NSW and Victoria. Large bogie freight vehicles were a specialty, especially wheat and coal hoppers and tank cars. The company finally closed in 1974 after ninety-one years of operation.