The Tredegar Company, One of the South Wales Coalfield’s Big Three by Leslie M. Shore
Littlemoor Press 2017 £25
In the nineteenth century the Tredegar iron works operated at the head of the Sirhowy Valley on land owned by the Morgan family, near the city of Newport. During the Railway Age, the works supplied iron rail to the world and after 1840 the company's sale of steam coal boomed. In 1873, the Tredegar Iron & Coal Company acquired the assets of the Tredegar Iron Company. From 1898, coal was mined at McLaren Colliery and the company went on to open Oakdale Navigation Collieries, Markham Colliery and Wyllie Colliery. It also built model villages to house the families of miners. In a climate of industrial conflict and political change the company became one of the 'Big Three' of the South Wales Coalfield. This is a history of the Tredegar Company with an account of the fate of the company's collieries under National Coal Board control.