The Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway under Military Control 1940-1960 by Mike Christensen
Lightmoor Press 2011 £22.50
Passenger traffic on the S&MR was seldom enough to pay its costs and ordinary passenger trains were withdrawn in 1933. Thereafter the railway continued to carry goods traffic, principally stone from quarries at Criggion. The loss of this traffic in early 1940 due to the collapse of a bridge brought the railway to the brink of a second closure. Late in 1940, however, most of the railway was taken over (under lease) by the War Department to form the basis of an extensive depot for the storage of ammunition. Additional track was laid, more than 200 rail-served Explosive Store Houses constructed and new marshalling yards built. The railway continued in this role until the ammunition depot closed, the railway effectively closing with the Depot. This book describes this last (and busiest) phase of the existence of the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire.